Friday, September 18, 2009

doodles~

wow! i did not know that there was no word class for adjectives in Arabic writing. Also, the rhythmical balance in their sentences was interesting, must have been difficult for an outsider to understand why they write in such a way but I guess it comes naturally to them. It was definitely interesting to learnt that in class as well as the historical background (religious writing) in understanding why parallelism is present in their writing. I guess that is culture for you; people with the same values coming together and that is why different culture is unique and different.

Like the because - therefore used in Chinese sentences, if used in Chinese will seem perfectly fine but translated, it becomes weird. I had a personal experience with using although and but in the same sentence, for example, "Although population growth is necessary but with the current growth rate, there will be 8 billion people in a hundred years time."

I think it has got something to do with the Chinese words of sui ran (although) and dan shi (but) that is used in the Chinese writing and I sort of used the same structure directly when I am writing English essays. If my memory does not fail me, we are able to use although and but together, but when we switched to English, it will sound weird. Besides Chinese complex sentences, I think Chinese writing in general, when translated into English sounds weird.... like the You before I case in English; I remembered in Primary school, Chinese pupils will tend to sort of mixed up when to put I because in Chinese we must put "I" first, for example "I and my friends" or "I and my family" (sounds really weird right?) and for English its the opposite way, like "my family and I". My teachers (Chinese and English) had a hard time correcting some of our errors, heh~ 
 
The doodles of Kaplan was real cool! Seeing how Kaplan visualizes writings into doodles, i think the doodles are still debatable because not all english essays are linear, and not all oriental essays are circular (or what i call beat around the bush for me to remember more easily). Imagine if I want to do a study to dispute or back up Kaplan's claims, wonder how many essays I have to read to really stake my claim on my findings, hahaha. =P I do not know much about the romantic, Arabic or Russian essays, but if i were to include the Russian, romantic and Arabic essays, wonder how many years will that research gonna take?

Alright, i guess its Happy recess week to all and to the malay classmates, Selamat Hari Raya!!  
see ya all in week 7!! =)=)=)

4 comments:

  1. One of the reasons why people would opt for circular style of writing might be the desire to extend their essay. Haha...
    On the other hand, another reason might be the need to reemphasize on the topic as it is so important that it deserve more space I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree with Kaplan that most English writings are linear but the circularity of Chinese writings is disputable only because Kaplan's research was done in 1972. It has been like 30 over years since his research was published and I believe Chinese writings are more and more Westernized graduating becoming oblong and straighter. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing research on another language may not take as long as you think (you can always employ a translater). It's different from learning a language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi De Deng,
    oh i though one would need to be proficent to be in the language. I see that we can get a translator to translate first. I get it now, thank you!! =)

    ReplyDelete