Saturday, September 12, 2009

To cut the long story short ...

was sorting out worksheets to pass on to the new coordinator tomorrow, and I came across these two primary school comprehension passages.

one was about UK Shyam (an athlete who broke the C. Kunalan's (a retired sprinter) 100M record), the passage mentioned the problems he had faced and the obstacles he overcame, as well as the support and help he had gotten from other sportsmen (like swimmer Ang Peng Siong). And at the end of the passage, the last paragraph, it was stated that "The story shows that within the sporting arena, there is encouragement and support between older sportsmen and the new ones. This fact alone should make any Singaporean proud."

The other passage was talking about bees - the queen bee, the worker bee and the (laziest bee) drone, whose only purpose is to mate with the queen bee. Also mentioned was the process of making honey and how honey and pollen is "bee bread". Coming to the last sentence, the author wrote, "The challenge to individuals like us is to protect these amazing animals by making our gardens bee-friendly."

and ... ta-da!! the L. L. Lim authored the book, or rather, the assessment book; its safe to assume the Lim is a Chinese writer according to the name as well as the way two of the passages were written. I think its interesting to compare the different writing styles of English and Chinese writers. I haven not really given much thought to this comparison before but after Wednesday's class, I found it to be quite true when I think back of books/novels written by English authors. Especially the part regarding giving background information and details. I recalled this book, To Kill a Mockingbird by Lee Harper, a wonderful book but when the first few chapters were quite hard to get through because of the immense details and background given by Harper for the main characters in the story, I almost gave up on the book because the background details made the first few chapters so dry =P. I have not read a lot English books written by Chinese authors, but it will be interesting to see how Catherine Lim writes her books and even Goh Sin Tub's narrative style. I guess their books will be on my radar when the next holiday comes round? =) 

This is just my view, but I think Asian authors generally do not give as much details as their English counterparts, remembering Kahled Hossein's The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, sometimes certain details are not given which leaves questions hanging and this drives me nuts, haha, I guess I think too much. I don't know if this has been done but it will be interesting to compare and contast Asian and English writers, wouldn't it? 

I'm such an advance nerd, getting excited over books =S, but I have a good friend who had been calling me a nerd ever since I got to know her, grrr.... haha 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Huey Li,
    I am a nerd too. I love books, but not those with super long winded descriptions. I had the same experience too.

    I remember in JC, I had to do Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy as one of my Literature texts. I almost died reading the first chapter.

    For an entire chapter, Hardy described the scenery and hills of the village where the story was set, and then went on to describe a mysterious woman standing on the hill with wind blowing through her hair and whatnots. Imagine reading this for I think 24 pages! No narrative, no dialogue, no context on what the description was about, just pure description of the setting.

    I think this was the epitome of what we learnt in class this week on the length of description English writers go in their stories.

    Actually Catherine Lim describes quite a bit in her books as well. But I think it was description of the characters in her stories. But I am quite sure she's not as extreme as Thomas Hardy or Lee Harper. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello eileen,
    haha, another book lover hehehe, can exchange tips! *tsk-tsk* my friend rolls her eyes when i mention books hahaha and another friend will discussed library trips and upgrades with me lol...

    oh i haven heard of tt book, but i understand your feelings, haha, i rather they jump straight into the plot lol... but Lee Harper's introduction was somewhere around 20+, 30 pages. I have another book written by an ex news caster of mediacorp, i have not got through the first few chapters because of the introduction and background details, but am going to grit my teeth through it since I know what's going on now =). hee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. u read alot! i've nv read a book by any chinese author though, so i hvn't seen any differences btwn them and the english writers.

    but i read this book by a turkish writer called orhan pamuk titled snow - it was so interesting yet so confusing. i read another book from him but i gave up 8 pgs later cos i couldn't understand what he was saying.

    another book that i love is the alchemist by paulo coelho. but the book was translated from the original to english, so i'm wondering if there were any meanings that are lost in translation along the way. i appreciated the simplicity and depth of the book though (:

    on a sidenote, i totally love the kite runner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing some kind of stylistical analysis of novels written by English and Chinese writers. Can be an interesting project, I think.

    ReplyDelete